The historically important collection of Flowering Plants (2891 sheets): S. Munch, who collected first, and A. Anglade, who continued the work, were Professors. A. Sauliere (leader), C. Montaud and G. Rodriguez were students who did the bulk of the collecting during 1913-17. Presumably no field books were kept; however, the information on the labels (mostly locality) is generally correct. The numbers on the labels are really serial numbers given at the time of dispatching the materials for naming to Calcutta 91913-1918 and Kew (1916-1922). One set of duplicates was retained at home.
These collections were first named at Calcutta during 1913-18 (1922); another set was despatched to Kew from 1916 onwards. As for the Kew despatches, the entire correspondence is preserved in the Kew Archives. Some collections went to Bogor, about which no records are known. the significance of this collection is that it antedates Fyson’s regional Flora 9195-21) and Gamble & Fischer’s Provincial Flora (1916-35). In fact Fyson received help from Fr. Gombert before 1910 in naming his collections at the initial stages of his work, as indicated on the labels at PCM. Unfortunately all the came out of this collection was Sauliere’s checklist 989. However, the Kew duplicates were used in Gamble & Fischer’s Flora.
The total holdings in the herbarium now are about 10,000 sheets from duplicates of the (Tamilnadu) Carnatic Flora Project and The Flora of the Palni Hills Project.
A valuable collection of 1910 water colour sketches (30 x 24 cm) of the various plants prepared by Anglade, c. 1915-1918, (19: 84-141) is a most useful supplement to the herbarium. Executed even before the regional and provincial Floras were published, these plates have long served in recognizing the plants depicted. There is an earlier collection (1902-10) of 114 (36 x 24 cm) plates of Orchids by Fr. E. Gombert, done with meticulous care as to details, and with excellent notes and even mounted floral parts (19: 192-194.)
Another contribution by Fr. Anglade is the ‘library’ of timbers, consisting of over 300 kinds of timbers of the hills, cut, polished and arranged like books (19: 168-177).
The other noteworthy contribution (1960-62) is K.M. Matthew’s collections on the exotic Flora of Kodaikanal. All these collections were remounted at RHT in 1991 and are now is the Anglade Institute as Sacred Heart College.